Antioch College is searching for part time independent contractors to serve as Group Exercise Instructors.
To apply, candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Direct mail should be sent to: Antioch College, c/o Thomas Brookey, One Morgan Place, Yellow Springs, OH 45387. Applications will be reviewed as received and accepted until the position is filled.
POSITION SUMMARY DESCRIPTION:
Group Exercise Instructors will design and implement safe and effective group exercise classes for guests and members. Instructors will assist participants with equipment set up and provide a motivating and enjoyable environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (RESPONSIBILITIES) OF THE POSITION:
- Teach scheduled classes, beginning and ending on time; instructors should arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of class and stay 15 minutes after to ensure time for questions and proper setup/cleanup of space being used
- Maintain class roster and turn in to front desk attendant upon the completion of each class
- Prepare appropriate equipment, music, and handouts (if necessary) for each class
- Maintain a positive exercise experience for all class participants
- Keep management informed of customer and facility needs
- Ensure that safety standards are met and that facility policies are adhered to
- Offer alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
- Evaluate individuals' abilities, needs, and physical conditions, and develop suitable training programs to meet any special requirements.
- Administer emergency first aid if required
- Maintain equipment inventories for activity specific equipment
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others associated with the Center
- Identify the developmental needs of class attendants and coach, mentor, or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Coordinate substitute teachers in the instance of absence; subs must be approved by Assistant Director or Director
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have current Group Fitness Certification from accepted institution OR certification specific to area of focus (i.e. ZUMBA, Pilates, etc.)
- Yoga instructors are required to have a minimum of RYT 200 certification
- First Aid and CPR certifications required (if not currently certified Wellness Center will facilitate training opportunities)
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of basic human anatomy
- Knowledge of group fitness teaching strategies
- Ability to cooperate and work well with other staff members
- Choreography and music skills (if applicable to class type)
- Ability to be professional and motivate class participation
- Endurance and physical ability to complete class being offered; may be required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.; may be required to handle fitness equipment.