Assoc Prof of Environmental Science
Linda Fuselier was an associate professor and director of women’s and gender studies at Minnesota State University before coming to Antioch College. She’s taught in high schools, community colleges, research universities, and primarily undergraduate institutions. Linda has a strong record of receiving grant funding for integrating meaningful research into the undergraduate science curriculum. Most recently, she worked with a team of undergraduate researchers on a project in restored and natural wetlands in northern Minnesota. She is currently working with students to document women’s contributions to professional scientific societies and is hoping to work with Antioch College students on plant populations in Glen Helen.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Ecology and evolution of bryophytes, stream fish biology and ecology, and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. I want to have undergraduates become active participants in significant research and encourage students to contact me about research opportunities.
- Ph.D., Biological Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY. 2004. Dissertation title: Maintenance of sexual dimorphism in a dioious liverwort.
- M.S., Environmental Biology. Emporia State University, Emporia, KS. 1993. Thesis title: Habitat restoration and seasonal habitat use by Neosho madtoms (Noturus placidus), and seasonal variation of fish assemblages in the Cottonwood River, Kansas.
- B.A., Biology, with Secondary Teacher Certification. Southwestern College, Winfield, KS. 1987. (Cum laude)
(asterisk indicates undergraduate student coauthor)
- Fuselier, L., B. Shaw, J. Engel, M. von Konrat, D. Costa, N. Devos and A. J. Shaw. 2011. The status and phylogeography of the liverwort genus Apometzgeria Kuwah. (Metzgeriaceae). The Bryologist 114:92–101.
- Fuselier, L. and B. Nelson. 2011. A test of the efficacy of a single information literacy lesson in an introductory biology laboratory course with a strong science writing component. Science and Technology Libraries 30:58–75.
- Fuselier, L., * A. Bougary and M. Malott. 2011. From trace evidence to bioinformatics: putting bryophytes into molecular biology education. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education 39:38–46.
- Fuselier, L. and K.J. Jackson. 2010. Perceptions of collaboration, equity and values in science among female and male college students. Journal of Baltic Science Education 9:109–118.
- Fuselier, L., P.G. Davison, *M. Clements, B. Shaw, N. Devos, J. Heinrichs, J. Hentschel, M. Sabovljevic, P. Szövényi, S. Schuette, W. Hofbaurer, and A. J. Shaw. 2009. Phylogeographic analyses reveal distinct lineages of Metzgeria furcata (L.) Dumort. and M. conjugata Lindb. (Metzgeriaceae) in Europe and North America. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 98:745–756
- Wisenden, B., *M. Rugg, *N. Korpi, and L. Fuselier. 2009. Estimates of active time of chemical alarm cues in a cyprinid fish and an amphipod crustacean. Behaviour 146:1423–1442..
- Fuselier, L. and *N. True. 2009. A novel experimental design for examining bryophyte response to increased ultraviolet radiation. Journal of Natural Resources and Life Science Education 38:27–32.
- Fuselier, L. 2008. Variation in life history characteristics between asexual and sexual populations of Marchantia inflexa. The Bryologist 111:248–259.
- Wisenden B.D., *Karst J., *Miller J., *Miller S., Fuselier L. 2008. Anti-predator behaviour in response to conspecific chemical alarm cues in an esociform fish, Umbra limi (Kirtland 1840). Environmental Biology of Fishes 82:85–92.
- Fuselier, L. C., P. Decker*, J. Lunski*, T. Mastel*, and S. Skolness*. 2007. Sex differences and size at emergence are not linked to size as emergence in the Common Green Darner, Anax junius. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 22:107–117.
- Echelle, A. E., L. C. Fuselier, R. Van Den Bussche, C. Rodriguez and M. Smith. 2006. Molecular systematics of Hispaniolan pupfishes (Cyprinodontidae: Cyprinodon): Implications for the biogeography of insular Caribbean fishes. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 39:855–864.
- Crowley, P.H., H. Davis, A. Ensminger, L. Fuselier, J.K. Jackson and D N. McLetchie. 2005. A general model of local competition for space. Ecology Letters. 7:176–188.
- Fuselier, L.C. and D. N. McLetchie. 2004. Microhabitat and sex distribution in a dioicous liverwort, Marchantia inflexa. The Bryologist 107: 345–356.
- Fuselier, L. and D. N. McLetchie 2002. Maintenance of sexually dimorphic pre-adult traits in Marchantia inflexa (Marchantiacae). American Journal of Botany 89:592–601.
- Fuselier, L.C. 2001. Impacts of Oreochromis mossambicus (Perciformes: Cichlidae) upon habitat segregation among Cyprinodontids (Cyprinodontiformes) of a species flock in Mexico. Revista de Biologia Tropical 49: 647–656.
- Haskins, K.*, Norman, C.* and Fuselier, L. 2012. The amateur tradition and women’s participation in bryology. Botany, Columbus, OH.
- Fuselier, L. 2012. Composition and Biomass Productivity of Bryophyte Assemblages in Natural and Restored Marshes in the Prairie Pothole Region of Northern Minnesota. Botany, Columbus OH.
- Thompson, C.*, Weber-Trainor, I.*, Effelt, M.*, Peyton, C.* and Fuselier, L. 2011. Nutrients and light impact bryophyte foraging strategies and biomass in wetlands in the Red River Valley. North Dakota State University (NDSU) undergraduate research symposium
- Donarski, D*., Novacek, J*. Rastadt, D.* and Fuselier, L. 2011. Bryophyte assemblages in restored wetlands in the Red River Valley. NDSU undergraduate research symposium
- Murphy, C., Fuselier, L., and J. Holding Eagle *. 2011. Science, politics and diversity. 35th Annual Wisconsin Women’s Studies Conference. University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Fuselier, L. 2011. Research to Practice: Integrating science into Women’s Studies and Feminist Science into the undergraduate science curriculum. GSTEM symposium, Purdue University ADVANCE
- Fuselier, L and C. Murphy. 2011. Curriculum enhancement in feminism and science. Mellon 23 workshop.
- Fuselier, L., C. Murphy and *J. Holding Eagle. 2010. Science, politics and the limits of diversity. Red River Women’s Studies Conference.
- Fuselier, L. 2010. From trace evidence to bioinformatics: putting bryophytes into undergraduate science education. Botanical Society of America.
- Fuselier, L., C. Murphy and A. Bender. 2010. Inclusive Science: difficult dialogs between Women’s Studies and the sciences. National Women’s Studies Association.
- Jackson, K., and Fuselier. 2009. Perceptions of collaboration and values in science in female and male college students. Succeeding as Women in Higher Education, SUNY Cortland.
- Jackson, K., Fuselier, L., M. Malott, and A. Morrow. 2008. Fostering connections among Women’s Studies and STEM programs. Inclusive Science, Minneapolis, MN.
BIO 210 Botany
ENVS 105 Introduction to Environmental Science
ENVS 220 Aquatic Biology
ENVS 305 Ecology
ENVS 330 Conservation Biology
ENVS 335 Field Plant Ecology