Assistant Professor of Biomedical Sciences
Dr. Krishna has more than 16 years of teaching and research experience. Most recently, she was an assistant professor in the natural science department at Wilberforce University, where she taught general biology, vertebrate comparative anatomy, lab science, microbiology, human anatomy and physiology, and life science. She was an adjunct professor of biology at Antioch College during the winter 2012 term. She is a recipient of the 2010 Microbiology Educator Award from the Ohio Branch of the American Society for Microbiology. Her research has been published in IRCF Reptiles and Amphibians, Herpetological Review, Acta Zoologica Sinica, Herpetological Journal, and the Journal of Bombay Natural History Society. She holds a B.S. in biology, M.S. in biosciences, and Ph.D. in applied zoology from Mangalore University.
Post doctoral research, 2004–2006, Emergent infectious disease of tropical anurans, Poornaprajna Institute of Research, Bangalore India.
Ph.D., 2004, Applied Zoology, Population ecology and threats for the survival and anuran amphibians in the tropical rain forests of western Ghats, Mangalore University, India.
M.S., 1994, Biosciences (Courses studied: Cell & Molecular biology; Genetics; Microbiology; Hydrobiology; Comp. Physiology) Mangalore University, India
B.S., 1992, Biology (Botany, Zoology, Chemistry), Mangalore University, India.
RECENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Savitha N Krishna and Sharath B Krishna. “Bull frogs” book chapter in Amphibians of Ohio.
- Sharath B. Krishna and Savitha N Krishna. 2011. Three color variants in the Malabar pit vipers Trimeresurus malabaricus. IRCF Reptiles and Amphibians 17(3): 5-6.
- Savitha Krishna. 2010. Bufo parietalis diurnal retreat site. Herpetological Review 41(2):193-194.
- Felicia Sheets, Savitha Krishna, William A Krebs, Donald Gaiger, Sudhindra Gadagkar, Antony Arment, Sharath Krishna. Population Dynamics of Honeysuckle in the Miami Valley, Ohio. September, 14-15, 2007. 28 th Under graduate Research Symposium 2007 at Universidad Metropolitana, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA.
- Savitha N. Krishna and Jaime Bosch. 2007. The breeding behaviour and advertisement calls of the tree-hole breeding frog, Ramanella montana (Microhylidae) in the Western Ghats, S. India. Acta Zoologica Sinica 53(3): 575-578.
- Savitha N. Krishna and Sharath B. Krishna. 2006. Visual and acoustic communications in an endemic stream frog, Micrixalus saxicolus in the Western Ghats, India. Amphibia-Reptelia 27: 143-147.
- Savitha N. Krishna, Sharath B. Krishna and K. K. Vijayalaxmi. 2005a. Variation in anuran abundance along the streams of Western Ghats, India. Herpetological Journal 15: 167-172.
- Savitha N. Krishna and Sharath B. Krishna. 2005b. Breeding population size of an endemic litter frog, Clinotarsus curtipes in the Western Ghats, S. India. Herpetological Review 36(1): 21–23.