You are here

Transfer of Credit


Acceptance of credit from colleges and universities, accredited or not, is at the sole discretion of the College. The evaluation of coursework completed at another college or university is considered on a case- by-case basis and determined upon review and evaluation of official transcripts, course descriptions, and course syllabi after official acceptance to Antioch College. The Registrar’s Office will facilitate the approval process between the student and division or program. Students will receive a preliminary transfer credit evaluation that will indicate the courses that have been approved to transfer to Antioch.


Antioch College currently accepts a maximum of thirty (30) transferable quarter credits from another college or university. As Antioch College operates on a quarterly academic calendar, all semester credits will be converted to quarter hours upon evaluation. To convert quarter credits to semester credits, multiply by two-thirds. To convert semester to quarter credits, multiply by 1.5. For example, a student who has earned

20 credits at an institution on a semester calendar would earn 30 quarter credits at Antioch College.


Antioch College reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its undergraduate degree programs. Some general categories of courses and examinations never receive transfer credit or, in some instances, receive credit on a restricted basis only (see items marked with an asterisk in the list that follows). Examples of courses and examinations that are not accepted for transfer of credit include:

  • Remedial courses considered below college level (usually numbered below 100).
  • Courses offered for non-credit continuing education units.
  • Courses providing instruction in English as a Second Language (100-level or above).
  • Examinations offered by the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).
  • Non-academic/vocational-technical courses. *
  • Competency or proficiency credit earned from an exam at another college or university.
  • Correspondence Courses


Grades earned at other colleges and universities are not transferable or included in the calculation of grade point averages at Antioch College. Transfer credit for courses must be completed with a minimum grade of ‘C’ grade. Grades and grade points for courses transferred will not be reflected on the transcript. Transfer credits are recorded with a grade indicator of a “T” and the hours are included in the student’s earned hours. Upon review of transfer credit for courses that receive “P,” “NP,” “CR” or “NC” indicators, only the “P” grade may be converted to a “C” or 2.0 equivalency. Courses with No Pass (NP), Credit (CR) or No Credit (NC) indicators on a transcript under transfer review are not considered transferable.


Since Antioch College’s language requirement is proficiency based, credit for language courses may be considered as open elective credit only. New and transfer students must take a language proficiency assessment prior to initial enrollment for course-level placement in languages offered at Antioch College. For further information, see the Language and Culture section of the Curriculum Catalog.


Credits awarded for Armed Forces Training Schools (AFTS) coursework may be considered for transfer credit not to exceed 10 quarter credits. Official military transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation prior to matriculation. The American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide presents ACE credit recommendations for formal courses and occupations offered by all branches of the military. The military guide provides recommendations; however, Antioch has the primary discretion when reviewing and accepting transfer credit based upon the established framework of degree requirements, policies and practices. No credit is awarded for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) programs.


If a division or program considers two of its courses to have overlapping content, credit will be awarded for only one. For example, if a transfer course in Chemistry has overlapping content in General Chemistry I (CHEM 105) and General Chemistry II (CHEM 160), credit is granted for either CHEM 105 or CHEM 160. Divisions, programs or courses in which such overlapping occurs, may include, but are not limited to: Anthropology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Political Economy, Foreign Languages, History, Literature, Mathematics, Media Arts, Performance, Philosophy, Psychology and Visual Arts.

Restricted Transfer Credit* Transfer credit will not generally be awarded for vocational or technical courses. However, a maximum of 10 quarter credits may be awarded in transfer for college-level vocational-technical courses when they have been allowed as electives based upon the established framework of degree programs, policies and practices at Antioch. When allowed, these credits will apply only toward elective credit.


Current Antioch College students who complete coursework at another college or university after initial enrollment at Antioch with the intent of transferring credit to Antioch College must obtain prior approval by the registrar. Coursework submitted for transfer that has not been pre-approved are not accepted toward a degree at Antioch College.


Antioch College is a member of the Great Lakes Colleges Association (GLCA). The colleges in the GLCA have agreed to review credits earned at Antioch College in a manner consistent with the process for review of credits earned at accredited institutions. The member colleges are Oberlin, Kenyon, Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, Wooster, Albion, Kalamazoo, Hope, Earlham, DePauw, Wabash, and Allegheny.

For transfer requests to colleges outside the Great Lakes Colleges Association: Antioch College will work with students to request exceptions, and will further assist by providing the appropriate information (e.g. course syllabi, course descriptions, instructor credentials) to support the request.


Credits are awarded for appropriate scores earned on Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations. Incoming first-year and transfer students with sufficiently high scores on appropriate AP and IB exams of the appropriate level may receive academic credit for their scores. Currently, credit is usually awarded to students who have received a score of 4 or 5 on certain AP examps or to students who have earned a score of 6 or 7 on certain higher level (HL) IB exams. Credits associated with acceptance of AP and IB scores will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students are encouraged to inquire at the Registrar’s Office for more information. Note that credits awarded for exam scores count against a student’s total allowable transfer credits, and are subject to all of the policies regarding transfer of credit. Official score results must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. An AP/IB transfer chart is listed on the College website, which identifies approved course considerations and additional specifications in relation to credit for AP/IB examinations.


Students who transfer to Antioch College with at least second-year status may be eligible for placement into the Work Portfolio for Transfers (WORK 125T) course during their first quarter of enrollment and may have their prior work experience counted as one of the cooperative education experienced required for a Bachelor’s Degree, if certain criteria are met. The Work Portfolio for Transfer Students is a

2 credit course that entails reading and reflective writing assignments about learning from work. In addition, students will be introduced to experiential education theories. In order to qualify for placement into Work 125T, the following criteria must be met:

  1. Students must have worked in a paid position within one year of matriculation at Antioch College.

  2. Students must have worked a minimum of 300 to 480 clock hours (work hours themselves are not applicable to receiving transfer credit).

  3. An Employment Verification Form must be submitted prior to matriculation to the Office of Admissions for applicant file completion and co-op/registrar referral purposes.