December 14, 2010
During the first weekend in March, the Alumni Board will be performing one of its most time-honored functions – choosing recipients for Alumni Association awards to be presented at Reunion in June 2012 (winners for 2011 will be announced at a later date). We are eager to know of anyone you or others in the Antioch College community might suggest for the following:
- Horace Mann Award, to an alumnus/alumna for winning a victory or victories for humanity.
- Rebecca Rice Award, to an alum for outstanding achievement in a career or profession.
- Arthur Morgan Award, to an alum for exemplifying a sense of community as advocated by Morgan.
- J.D. Dawson Award, to anyone who has performed distinguished service to Antioch College.
- Walter F. Anderson Award, presented in conjunction with Alumni of Courage for Diversity (formerly Alumni of Color), to former students or college employees for promoting racial and ethnic diversity within Antioch and beyond.
Award presentations and speeches by the winners are highlights at Reunion. Often, nominees who cannot accept in one year are offered the award for the following year. Thus, the board likely will select a first and second choice for each award with the understanding that the backup would likely get top consideration for the award in 2013 if the first choice accepts for 2012.
Committee and board discussions of potential award nominees are held entirely in closed session with a very high level of confidentiality, comparable to what would pertain to sensitive personnel and financial matters.
Please e-mail your suggestions and supporting information, as well as any personal data you may have, including home and work addresses, telephone number(s), and the year of graduation or attendance or employment at Antioch, by January 14 to Fred Kraus (email@example.com ), the college staff person assigned to the board's Nominating Committee, and to Tim Klass (firstname.lastname@example.org ), committee chair.
The committee will present its recommendations during the Alumni Board meetings in Yellow Springs on March 4-5.
Nominating Committee Chair