Preserving and recording our history is an essential element in building the future of Antioch College. Antiochiana began as a collection of historical artifacts gathered by College librarian Bessie Totten, Class of 1900, who served the College for 41 years. Among its impressive collection, Antiochiana includes the papers of Horace Mann and Arthur Morgan, used for academic research by scholars from around the world.
After more than a century, Antioch College remains committed to careful stewardship of this critical College resource. If you have questions regarding the archive or wish to support its preservation with the pledge of a capital or planned gift, please contact us at 937-286-5534.
Songs from the Stacks News from Scott Sanders, Archivist
03.24.2011 Jane Cape of Dodgeville, WI was one the few genuine experts in the country in the field of Home Economics at the time of her appointment to the Antioch College faculty in 1926. As Chair of the dept., she guided one of the more rigorous Home Economics programs among small colleges, emphasizing chemistry, nutrition, and child development. She also established one of the first nursery schools in the state of Ohio in a long gone architectural gem called Day... › MORE
03.10.2011 Bessie Ladley Totten, class of 1900, spent a lifetime at Antioch College, and many more by extension. Her family, the Carrs and Ladleys of Yellow Springs and the Tottens of nearby Springfield, collectively sent more students to the College than perhaps any other. Born in 1876, her direct association with Antioch College began when she entered its Preparatory Academy in 1892. After completing her studies a forty year career as a librarian at the College... › MORE
02.25.2011 The November 1946 meeting of the Antioch College Board of Trustees was in many ways a typical one. As usual, finances (and lack thereof) dominated the conversation. But when Algo Henderson was president, to make sure that the proceedings would not be limited to discussions of dollars, he would schedule for the Trustees “programs which give glimpses of particular elements of the Antioch plan of education.” The topic, so the minutes say, was... › MORE
02.10.2011 Born in 1847, Cornelia “Nellie” Van Mater moved to Yellow Springs when her father, a successful merchant and Christian Church deacon of Greeneville, Ohio, was made a trustee of Antioch College (1861). John Van Mater’s time with the College was a difficult one. Brought in as treasurer to care for its ever-precarious finances, he had the misfortune of joining the Board of Trustees just as a smoldering sectarian conflict for control of... › MORE
01.27.2011 Though obscure during his lifetime, inventor, philosopher, and avant-garde composer Harry Partch (1901-1974) is now widely recognized as a significant (if eccentric) force in 20th century American music. According to biographer Bob Gilmore, Harry Partch discovered Antioch College and Yellow Springs, Ohio not long after his influential book Genesis of Music, released in 1949, received a favorable review from a memorable Antioch College faculty member,... › MORE
12.16.2010 One of Reverend Thomas Hill’s biographers said of him that “he was admired by scientists for his theology and by theologians for his science.” An outstanding undergraduate student at Harvard and a member of the class of 1843, Hill resisted both his mathematics professor’s wish that he pursue a career in mathematics, and his biology professor’s hope that he become a botanist. Instead, he followed his lifelong dream to be a minister, entered Harvard Divinity... › MORE
12.03.2010 One of the most interesting figures ever to serve on the Antioch College Board of Trustees, Charles F. Kettering knew a thing or two about research. He held over 140 patents, most of them while head of research for the General Motors Corporation. In the Fall of 1943, with nearly all the world engulfed in savage war, he spoke of research at a modest but propitious event that took place at Antioch College: a ceremony to formally retire a very important... › MORE
11.15.2010 Edwin R. Roberts came to Antioch College from Loveland, Ohio, at the southern terminus of the bike path that runs through Yellow Springs. He entered in 1909, graduated in 1913 and became an insurance agent in Indianapolis. What follows is his account of the College during the presidency of Daniel Albright Long, incidentally the longest tenure of any president in Antioch College history. Roberts could not have witnessed most of the events that he describes... › MORE
10.28.2010 This installment of “Stacks” might be subtitled: Ode to a Forgotten Financial Hero. Born near Boston in 1813, Artemas Carter joined the Board of Trustees of Antioch College in 1859. He was a prominent merchant and a leading member of the American Unitarian Association. His older brother, James Gordon Carter, had been an important education reformer in Massachusetts, served in state legislature with Horace Mann, and helped established the first ever... › MORE
10.14.2010 Once again “Stacks” sings a song of the Antioch College library, featuring vocals by Patricia Aldred, class of 1952. Her brief history of the early College library originally ran in the November 1952 Antioch Alumni Bulletin when Horace Mann Library (The Music Department to some and Weston Hall to other vintages of Antiochians) had exceeded its capacity and was about to be replaced with Olive Kettering Library. Pat married George Mrazek and together they... › MORE
09.30.2010 It is a matter of tribal knowledge that Hugh Taylor Birch gave Glen Helen to Antioch College in 1929, and that then College President Arthur E. Morgan is the one who made it happen, attracting Mr. Birch back to his alma mater with the great energy and innovation that was the character of his presidency. The unsung hero in the tale of Glen Helen, however, was Lucy Griscom Morgan. The College’s first lady was a botanist and nutritionist and one of the first... › MORE
09.16.2010 Even before there was a building to house the Antioch College Library, there was an Antioch College Library. As early 1851 requests for funds to the College Library appeared in publication. A year later, a library committee of 20 was appointed, composed largely of Christian ministers. What follows is their first florid communication to the readers of the Christian Church journal, The Christian Palladium. Photo caption: Old Library -- until the fall of... › MORE