Birch Hall is named after Hugh Taylor Birch, a 1929 alumnus who donated Glen Helen to Antioch College to honor the memory of his daughter. It was designed by Eero Saarinen, who also designed the St. Louis Gateway Arch. Birch Hall is considered an outstanding example of the modern Cubist style of post-WWII architecture and was completed in 1948.
One of the three original buildings at Antioch College, North Hall is centrally located near academic buildings and administrative offices. In 2011, a $5.7 million renovation project was launched to incorporate features that combine comfort and sustainable living.